Good morning from sunny and post-rainy Norfolk, where a shower sprinkled down this morning before giving way to the glowing giant yellow orb of the moment. The Chiefs are hoping to avoid a sweep at the hands of the Tides today. Some things to know before that:
– The Virginian Pilot recaps yesterday’s 3-0 Norfolk win.
– Max Scherzer and Bryce Harper, the NL’s Cy Young and MVP front-runners, led the Nationals past the Cubs.
– Charles Pierce, writing for Grantland, on the money-based marriage of the military and the NFL.
– NPR asks, simply: where are the aliens?
And, finally, some Courtney Barnett for your lazy morning…
Chiefs and Tides today at 12:05. Hope you can join us after Bud & the Manchild.
Good afternoon from sunny Norfolk, where the Chiefs began a seven-game road trip with a 7-2 Memorial-Day loss. Some news and notes on this late beginning to your work week…
– A recap of yesterday’s bizarre game from David Hall of the Virginian Pilot.
– And video of a truly bizarre moment, when Dariel Alvarez caught a ball that hit him from Manny Delcarmen…
– Former Chief Tanner Roark led the Nationals to a win in his first start of the year, with a personal hometown crowd to boot.
– Another former Chief, Bryce Harper, is tearing up the diamond and maturing off it, writes ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick.
– The amazing story of a small village in the Netherlands that houses 8,300 headstones of American soldiers and the folks who tend to it.
Chiefs and Tides at 6:35 tonight. Hope you can join us on thescore1260.com.
The Chiefs and IronPigs play a Wednesday-afternoon affair today at 1:05. Here’s some stuff you should know – and hopefully you will like – before then:
– Highlights from yesterday’s pseudo-doubleheader.
– Lindsay Kramer on the Chiefs’ Rafael Martin, regaining his confidence.
– Why Donovan McNabb is wrong about #44 – by Nunes Magician’s excellent editor Sean Keeley.
– Bill Murray, continuing to one-up his entrances as the final guest of The Late Show.
– And while we’re on the subject, here’s Jimmy Kimmel’s emotional goodbye to David Letterman.
We’re on the air at 12:50 on The Score 1260. Hope you can join us.
Something we don’t like: rain delays. Something we do like: free baseball. The Chiefs and IronPigs will finish yesterday’s game, which is tied after nine innings, at 5:05 today, before a 7:05 scheduled game afterward. The weather forecast, outside of a passing morning shower, is clear.
Here’s a look at our daily morning links…
– Chiefs pitcher Erik Davis is back for the first time in two years after Tommy John surgery. I sat down with him yesterday for a conversation about his road to recovery.
– Syracuse.com’s Lindsay Kramer also caught up with Davis.
– The Nationals are calling up a shortstop from Double-A, per the Washington Post.
– A visual look at Premier League prep, from BBC Radio’s Nick Barnes.
– Grantland’s review of the insanely bonkers Mad Max: Fury Road, which I watched last night after the rain fell – it’s as awesome an action film as you will ever watch.
– Finally, another Letterman link from the final week – Eddie Vedder’s wonderful, emotional performance of “Better Man”.
More to come on the blog later. See you tonight.