Results tagged ‘ John-Ford Griffin ’
The Blue Jays opened the spring schedule this afternoon with a 4-1 win versus the Boston Red Sox.
Many of the players expected to be in Syracuse when the regular season opens performed well for the Jays. Adam Lind started in left-field and went 1-2 with a triple before being replaced by John-Ford Griffin who went 1-1 with a double. John Hattig was 1-2 with an RBI, Kevin Barker was 1-3. Non-roster invitee Jeff Duncan replaced Vernon Wells in center-field in the third inning and was 1-1 with a walk and a run scored.
On the mound Ty Taubenheim pitched a perfect 8th and Ryan Houston pitched a perfect ninth to earn the save.
The most interesting part if the box score is accurate is that Ryan Roberts, primarily a second-baseman, played shortstop in relief of Royce Clayton while Rey Olmedo, a natural shortstop, relieved Aaron Hill at second base.
The Jays travel tomorrow to take on the Boston Red Sox in Ft. Myers at 12:30 PM. Gustavo Chacin is scheduled to start for Toronto.
With Spring Training starting for many major league teams this week we glanced through major league baseball rosters and below is a list of former Chiefs players invited to major league camps as non-roster players:
Brewers – Corey Thurman, Vince Perkins
Cardinals – Mike Smith, Miguel Negron
Devil Rays – Gary Glover
Diamondbacks – Rich Thompson
Dodgers – Ken Huckaby, Sandy Martinez
Giants – Luis Figueroa
Mariners – Aaron Small
Nationals – Chris Michalak, Wayne Lydon
Twins – Glenn Williams
Padres – Adrian Burnside, Todd Greene
Phillies – Brent Abernathy
Pirates – Kip Bouknight, John Wasdin
Rangers – Bruce Chen
Red Sox – Kevin Cash
Reds – Jason Kershner, DeWayne Wise
Royals – Alex Gonzalez
In addition the Blue Jays added John Ford Griffin and Erick Kratz to their spring training roster as well as Rob Cosby and Ryan Roberts who were designated for assignment in January and taken off the major league roster. Only Figueroa, Lydon and Burnside are from the Chiefs 2006 roster.
It is the Night before Christmas and we hope that everyone has reached their destinations safely and can now sit back relax and enjoy the greatest night of the year.
We here at MLBlogs.com hope that you have enjoyed our somewhat serious, somewhat funny post during the year. We have enjoyed providing the Baseball/Chiefs fans with up-to date information that only Chiefs Blogs can provide.
So as you sit back and relax this evening with a glass of egg nog with the company of family and friends lets leave Santa with a list of things we would all like to see in 2007:
* First Place finish in the I.L. East and a Governors Cup Championship and a trip to the Bricktown Showdown in Oklahoma City in September.
* One more good season from Chad Mottola as he continues to rewrite the Chiefs record book.
* A healthy John Ford Griffin so he can duplicate his 30 HR’s and 103 RBI’s from the 2005 season.
* Adam Lind all season
* Kevin Barker, Chad Mottola and John Ford Griffin in the 3-4-5 spot.
* 25 starts from Dustin McGowan, John Banks, Ismael Ramirez, Ty Taubenheim and Casey Janssen without being called up once.
* No Rainouts the entire season.
* For Nick Pirro and the County Legistlature to approve funding for the relacement of the artifical turf, new video scoreboard and lights so our centerfielder can see the ball.
* A new shortstop or a good deal of improvement from Sergio Santos in 2007.
* Lee Gronkiewicz to save 35 games.
* No injuries in Toronto (unless it’s Frank Thomas).
* Frank Thomas to rehab in Syracuse for a week.
* More fans to watch Chiefs Baseball than ever before.
* A positive story about the Chiefs from our local newspaper.
* Russ Adams to rebound from his 2006 season and get back to the major leagues.
* Chiefs players to be the envy of the I.L. with our hot new uniforms.
* Snow on April 5th, now that we are Opening the season in Durham.
* 70 degrees and sunny on April 14th vs Ottawa for the Home Opener.
* Scooch to have another mascot to help him at the stadium.
* Jeff Costello and the Everything Irish Committee good weather on July 12th so they don’t get rained out for the 3rd straight year.
* Cooler weather for our next Dog Lover’s Night this summer.
* A new Picnic Area for fans to enjoy.
* Bud Poliquin to actually stay for a game.
* And good health to everyone young and old for the year to come.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
Just 21 more weeks until OPENING DAY 2007 at Alliance Bank Stadium……How about those Blue Jays signing FRANK THOMAS for thier designated hitter spot. That all but assures that super prospect ADAM LIND will start the season in Syracuse for 2007. A potential Chiefs lineup that includes Jeff Duncan CF, Adam Lind LF, Chad Mottola RF, John-Ford Griffin-DH, Kevin Barker-1B, Rob Cosby-3B, Curtis Thigpen-c, Russ Adams-2B, and Ryan Roberts/or Sergio Santos SS wouldn’t look so bad…..Former Chiefs in the news – catcher Ken Huckaby signed with the Dodgers and will likely spend the season in Las Vegas (PCL), Former Chiefs infielder Nelson Liriano was named hitting coach for the KC Royals single A team in Wilmington….Former Chiefs outfiedler Rick Leach was the Michigan quarterback for four seasons under Bo Schembechler, who passed away on Friday. Rick was heard earlier today on ESPN Radio’s Dan Patrick show talking about his former coach…Prediction time: Uconn 31 Orange 27 and Michigan 16 Ohio State 14…..Dont forget to listen to “INSIDE PITCH” on Saturday November 18th on ESPN RADIO 1260 AM at 9:00 AM when Chiefs General Manager John Simone and Bob McElligott talk to Chiefs players Chad Mottola and Kevin Barker……It was reported today that Doug Davis, who managed New Hampshire (Eastern League) last season will be named the Chiefs next manager. Mike Basso, who managed the team last season would become the organizations roving catching instructor. Look for an announcement from the team on Monday…..Chiefs Annual Stockholders Meeting will take place on Tuesday, November 21st at Alliance Bank Stadium. The ballclub will report its financial statement for the year ending 2006 and give an overview on the upcomming 2007 season….Have a great weekend.