Results tagged ‘ New York Yankees ’
With Jason Benetti and Kevin Brown back in Syracuse, they have left me to keep you updated on the comings and goings of Spring Training 2011.
* Tigers defeated the Nationals Monday afternoon at Space Coast Stadium 4-2. In the game former Chiefs manager Garth Iorg’s son Cale Iorg doubled in a run and played flawless at shortstop for the Tigers. Look for Cale to begin the season with the Mud Hens.
* Another former Chief’s son, Patrick Leyland, (son of Jim Leyland) caught the final three innings.
* Today (Tuesday) was able to catch the Blue Jays and Phillies in lovely Dunedin, Florida. Phils had most of their starters on hand and former Chiefs Pete Orr and Michael Martinez played in the later innings. Both have a chance to be with the Phillies on opening day after injuries to Chase Utley and Placido Polanco.
* Visted the Chiefs former winter home for 31 years – Englebert Recreational Complex and took in a few innings of their AAA and AA games. Former Chiefs still with Toronto include Doug Davis (Minor League Field Coordinator), Dane Johnson (Minor League Pitching Coordinator), Omar Malave (Gulf Coast League Manager), Jim Czjawski (Pitching Coach at Vancouver-rookie) who was the winning pitcher in the first game ever at then P&C Stadium on April 6th, 1997. Dennis Holmberg will be in Bluefield-rookie and big Sal Fasano will be in AA-New Hamphsire all came over to say hello.
* Former Chiefs outfielder in 2009-10 Leonard Davis is in the Jays camp trying to catch make the AAA-Las Vegas team, closer to his California home.
* Off to Legends Field on Wednesday to see former Chiefs outfielder Justin Maxwell and Chiefs Wall of Famer Ron Guidry who is in camp as an instructor.
Just four weeks until the Home Opener in Syracuse…..
The Washington Nationals signed righthanded pitcher Chad Gaudin yesterday to a minor league contract and invited the former Chiefs pitcher to spring training as a non-roster player.
Gaudin, still only 27 pitched for the Chiefs in 2005 and came within one out of tossing a no-hitter vs Columbus at Alliance Bank Stadium that season.
He spent the 2006 and 07 season with Oakland – pitching in relief 4-2 3.09 ERA in 55 appearances in ’06 and was 11-13 with a 4.42 ERA in 34 starts in ’07.
Chad began the 08′ season with the A’s but was traded to the White Sox in July and finished the season 9-5 with a 4.40 ERA in 50 games.
In 09′ he moved back to the starting rotation with San Diego before being traded to the Yankees again in July and posted a 6-10 record with a 4.65 ERA in 31 starts.
Last season he moved back to the bullpen and for the third straight season split time with Oakland to start the season and finishing with the Yankees. In 42 games he was 1-4 with a 5.65 ERA.
Wang, now 30, missed all of the 2010 season. He pitched in games in September/October at the Nationals Instructional League and was impressive.
The Washington Nationals are close to an agreement with former New York Yankees righthanded pitcher Chien-Ming Wang it was reported tonight by MLB Networks Jon Heyman.
Wang, 29 would need to begin the season on the disabled list, but eventually would make a few re-hab starts before joining the Nationals sometime in May. A start or two in AAA-Syracuse would sound nice for Chiefs fans.
Stay tuned to Chiefs Blogs for further up-dates.